CSIR-CMERI,Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-CMERI), Durgapur, West Bengal has designed and developed a “Solar Power Tree” to harness maximum solar energy utilising minimum land – In general, it requires about 3.5 acres of land to produce 1 MW of solar power. For any state in the country to survive on green energy there will be requirement of thousands of acres of land. The acquisition of land is a major issue for private sector industry. Solar Power Tree addresses the biggest hurdle of land requirements to gainfully utilise solar power.
Solar Power Tree is an intervention against land constraints. It harnesses solar energy for producing electricity with an innovative vertical arrangement of solar cells. It thus reduces the requirement of land while keeping the land character intact. It even enables utilisation of the cultivable land for solar energy harnessing along with farming at the same time.
The Salient Features of the Solar Power Tree are:
- It takes much less land of only 4 sq ft for a 5 kW Solar Power Tree as compared to 400 sq ft of land required in case of the conventional Solar Photovoltaic layout;
- It holds the panels at a higher height – thus gets more sun (by 1 hour) in a day in comparison to that in conventional layout on ground; Thus, it is possible to harness 10-15% more power;
- It is facilitated with water sprinkler at the top for self-cleaning of panels;
- The paddy lands or agro-gardens or roads can be utilized for production of green power keeping land scape/cultivation unaltered;
- Applicable for both rural and urban areas.
In future, it is possible to harness 10% more power by rotating panel direction twice in a day by using a module that aligns itself with the movement of sun. Also, aesthetic aspects would be incorporated in the design of solar tree to landscape the land.
The Specifications for 5 KW Solar Power TREE are:
- Peak Power: 5KW;
- Full Load Capacity: 60% of the Peak;
- Battery Back Up: 2 hrs. (Full load);
- Cost: INR 5 Lakh;
- Footprint: 4 sq. ft.;
- Arial Span: 25 ft. Dia,
- Warranty: Panel: 25 Years.
The technology developed under the leadership of Dr. SN Maity, Chief Scientist, CSIRCMERI, has been licensed to: M/s Vibes Solar Solution India LLP, Kolkata. The process is under way to license the technology to more companies.
For further details, please contact: Dr. SN Maity Chief Scientist, CSIR-CMERI e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Watch “Solar Power Tree” news covered by “Voice of America”
Reference : CSIR Press Release